Jelly Bean 4.1, dubbed as 11.3.A.2.1, has been finally released and rolled out by Sony for its Xperia E Dual C1605 smartphones and now we will be checking on how to manually flash the firmware on your device. As you know when talking about stock updates, the software is offered in phases, so not all the Xperia E users will receive the 11.3.A.2.1 JB 4.1 OTA at the same time, so a manual installation procedure should be more than appreciated. Therefore, stick to the lines from below and learn how to safely update your device with the latest and official Android OS.
First of all it should be clear for you that this operation is an official one; even though we will be checking on how to manually update your Sony Xperia E Dual C1605, you will flash the official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean 11.3.A.2.1 firmware so you are not installing a custom or beta ROM. The mentioned OS is coming straight from Sony and Google meaning that you will be getting stock and default features, apps, capabilities and bug fixes that will improve the performances of your smartphone and also that will customize and optimize the Jelly Bean experience that runs on your phone.
Now, a manual update procedure is being required if: the OTA release hasn’t been received by your Xperia E, if you have a rooted device (then the OTA will not be received at all) or if you want to have more control over the flashing operation. Furthermore, this tutorial will work on both rooted and un-rooted handsets so you don’t have to worry about this aspect anymore. Do note that if you have a rooted Xperia E, after completing the next lines, the root access will be revoked – so the warranty will be restored. Of course, you can anytime root the new Jelly Bean 4.1 11.3.A.2.1 OS, but only by following a suitable root guide – else you can end up in bricking your device.
In order to make things right, first off all you need to read (and apply when needed) the list from below; I have detailed the pre requisites and the other relevant aspects that are related to the present step by step guide, so don’t skip this part.
- Backup the Xperia E data and save anything you need to before going any further; even though you will apply the stock JB 4.1 software, the data might still get corrupted and the best will be to back it up.
- A computer is being required; also the phone and its USB cable are required for this process.
- As usual, go to “Settings -> Applications -> Development -> USB debugging” and check the USB debugging option; in this way you can be sure that your handset will be properly connected with the computer.
- Also, the battery of your Xperia E should be charged; the update procedure will take a few minutes and if there is less than 60% power left, your device might get turned off – you will risk in damaging its system if that happens, so be careful and try to charge the battery before starting the flashing operation.
- In order to avoid the unpleasant situations, deactivate the security protection that runs on your computer; in some situations the antivirus programs were interfering (/ interrupting) with the update operation.
- This guide is compatible only with the mentioned smartphone that has the model number of C1605. The stock Jelly Bean 4.1 11.3.A.2.1 Firmware has been released and can be installed only on the Sony Xperia E Dual, so try not to mess things up.
- Download the JB 4.1 update file on your computer and place the file on the Desktop (preferable); the download link is here so use the same.
- Go to this page and download the flashing tool.
- Now, install the Flash tool on your computer – use the prompts.
- Then, go to the folder where the app has been installed and run the same – you can launch the tool by double clicking on the “Thunder” symbol.
- From the window that will be displayed on your PC you need to select “Flashmode”; then continue by selecting “ok”.
- Now, you need to get the update file and upload it on the Flash tool.
- In order to do that select “…”.
- Then pick the .ftf file from the desktop.
- Take your phone and turn it off.
- Now, press the Volume Up key and while pressing the same connect your handset with the computer by using its USB cord.
- As soon as the connection is estabelish, the update operation will begin.
- It will take a couple of minutes so don’t panic and don’t make any other changes.
- In the end, your Xperia E Dual will reboot into Jelly Bean OS meaning that you job is done.
- Do note that the first boot might take longer than usual; after that everything will be as it used to.
Well done, the guide has been completed so you are done for today. The best is that now your Sony Xperia E Dual is running on latest and official Android 4.1 Jelly Bean firmware –the software is dubbed as 11.3.A.2.1; you can check for the same by going to “Settings -> About Phone -> Build Number”. If you had issues while trying to apply the ROM on your handset, use the comments field and talk to us. Of course our team will be there and will be trying to help you out.